Competition Entry in 2016
Watson Batty took part in an open competition in 2016 to provide a concept design for a new football stadium for Forest Green Rovers FC. The Gloucestershire club have recently been promoted to the Football League for the first time in their history.
Utilising our expertise in sport and leisure, including our experience on a number of similar football/sports stadia projects, we focused on the following key elements;
– Providing a contemporary ‘state of the art’ stadium solution
– Building in flexibility to enable enhancement and adaptability in the future
– Delivering a low carbon, sustainable design approach to construction and future operation
– Offering a flexible/multi use range of accommodation throughout the year – a truly 24/7 facility for the club, its players/staff, supporters, the local community and region
– A UK stadium of firsts; a fully integrated PV roof, integral wind power, biomass energy
– Recognising the opportunities and benefits if smart technology
– Including flexible seating/standing arrangements
– Creating opportunities to maximise the use of the stadium for major events including non sport
Developed with colleagues Buro Happold our approach looked to reflect the essence of football stadia in years gone by but provide a 21st century solution towards longevity, flexibility, sustainability and incorporating the latest technology.