Over the last 6 years Watson Batty Architects (WBA) have delivered a series of projects, both airside and landside, to facilitate the future-focused expansion and refurbishment plans of this major European airport, Yorkshire’s Airport! WBA have recently been commissioned to deliver a new Arrivals Hall and internal terminal building reorganisation, their largest airport project to date. Other projects completed to date:
– Special Branch relocation: £400,000 July 2011 – Nov 2011
– Double Lift installation (CSZ): £200,000 Jan 2012 – July 2012
– Departure Lounge toilets: £75,000 Jan 2012 – July 2012
– Basement Screening: £50,000 Jan 2012 – July 2012
– New Passenger Walkway: £950,000 May 2012 – Oct 2012
– Ground Floor Departure Lounge refurbishment: £100,000 Feb 2013 – April 2013
– Entrance Roundabout Feature (Planning Application) – 2015
– Departure Lounge Infill Works: £1.7m Jan 2017 – August 2017
– Feasibility schemes: 2017/ 2018
– Leisure Lounge alterations: May 2018
– New Arrivals Hall and Departure Pier: c.£9.5m Summer 2018 – Ongoing
– Terminal Building Reorganisation: c.£3.0m Summer 2018 – Ongoing
In 2016/2017 and working closely with the airport to plan and deliver, the infill floor provided much needed additional floor space to meet the ever-increasing customer demand because of the increasing success of the airport. A new mezzanine floor was also installed within an adjacent double height space adjacent.
The project completed in August 2017, involved complex phasing operations to ensure passenger comfort in the busy departure lounge area was maintained at all times. Additional works also took place providing an extended retail unit and bar area where close teamwork between all parties involved was required to ensure minimal passenger disruption.
Works were suspended at busier times of the day to prevent impacting on flight departures or affecting the health and safety of passengers. The scheme also involved significant elements of overnight working where access to the aircraft taxi ways were required for the installation of major steelwork and for other structural operations.
The infill floor project was the tenth project that WBA have completed at the airport and builds their ever-increasing air transport experience further.